Thursday 15 December 2016

Poinsettias (with Pictorial)

Hello friends! We are less than two weeks away from Christmas, can you believe it? Although I'm still smack in the middle of  exams, I decided to take a  much needed break from studying and relax with some holiday themed nails (luckily, I have a few days gap before my next exam). I cannot wait for the break to start! I've been so tired as of late and my sleeping schedule is non-existent. I really wish I could just snuggle up in my blankets and watch netflix with a cup of hot chocolate all day.

I guess I'm continuing the nature themed nails from last week as well, with even more red and green plants. Poinsettias are so pretty! I used to be fascinated with them as a child, because the entire plant just looks like one huge flower. I also used to really enjoy playing with the little buds in the idle, I would always take one out and play with it for some odd reason (I was a strange child). Maybe I should bring a poinsettia home for Christmas this year, just to bring a little extra green into the home for these dreary winter months.
For this design, I decided to do something different. I used a black base color! I don't think it's something I've ever done before, so this was a complete first for me. Straying away from my usual white base was an interesting experience! The design definitely looked a lot more dull than I intended for it to be;and not being unable to fix mistakes was a little nerve wracking (due to the base color no being pure black). Overall, I quite enjoyed this experience and look forward to doing similar things in the future, which means that I need to start stocking up on black polishes!

Without further ado, here are more tips and tricks (and a pictorial) on how I created this look....

  • *note that this design is done predominantly using acrylic paint
  • Start off with an opaque black base color (I used Zoya's Raven)
  • Map out what your flowers are going to be using a thin paint brush and some red acrylic paint, the design does not need to be very bold at this point
  • Add in some spiky green leaves around your flowers, this, you will need to build up the leaves until it is opaque in color
  • Use a darker green color to draw in the veins of the leaves (I mixed the original green with some black to obtain this color)
  • To make the leaves more realistic, also highlight the around the edges of the leaves and around the dark veins using some white or cream colored acrylic paint
  • Moving on to the red petals.... with the leaves complete, build up your red petals until they are opaque (mixing a little bit of white into the red may help with this, and it will also make it contrast again the black base more)
  • Shade your red petals by creating a gradient using a darker shade of red at the inner corner of the petal and blending it to a much lighter shade of red at the tips
  • Using a pink color (mixed using red and white paint), draw on the veins of the red petals
  • For some of the petals on top, highlight the veins using diluted white paint (I dilute it with small amount of water to get it slightly more translucent)
  • Using yellow acrylic paint, randomly draw some small dots of various sizes in the middle of the flower to create the little buds
  • Finish off the design with a top-coat and it's as easy as that
    • I think this design would look great with a matte finish, but I ran out of my matt top-cot a while ago
    • because this design used many layers of acrylic paint, more than one layer of top-coat may be required to get a fully glossy finish
*Bonus picture I snapped of the finished design before I added a top-coat. I think the matte/shiny combo looks pretty cool



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: